Thursday, November 27, 2008

All the Best for You...

Yesterday, one of my student's mother came to school and had a talk with me. All along, she knew that her son went to school everyday. So she went to school and did find every professor to whom her son was enrolled to. I told her that since last month her son did not come to class anymore and that he already spent the maximum allowable absences for a 3-unit subject; because of this instance, he's already failed. She cried when I informed her of this... This kid was their only child and only wanted all the best for him...
I felt what she was feeling at the moment. It was so hard for parents, mothers, to see her child fail on anything, especially if she knew that her child can do it; not to mention of course the time and the money wasted. Lots of parents were giving more than what they could just to make sure their kids will have a bright future. Every parent were doing this not because it was their responsibility, but because they love their child.
This child was very lucky to have two parents rearing him, giving him what he wanted; I did not have the same luck. My father and mother broke up when we were young; we were taken care of by my mother. At that point I was just a child, it was so hard for me to deal with these things at my age. I was the oldest among 2 sisters and the only guy left in the family; seriously, all the memeber of my immediate family were girls. What happened to the fathers? Well, asked them. Anayway, I was 10, the only guy, oldest, and so we were already talking of the future, of what should I become. At that age, I already felt the pressure to strive hard to have a succesful career one day. There were times I want to give-up already; what do you expect, I was just a kid, literally. But then I fought this, gradually, and told myself I will never be like those kids who stayed affected all their lives because of a series of unfortunate events. The moment I stepped highschool, I studied hard. Instead of having myself burried on forlorned past, I focused myself on what am I going to be on the future. So started it by studying hard until I had my Bachelor's degree. In this way, I did not only make myself proud, I even made my family prouder. during my graduation, I saw them as if they were relieved of stress, as if nothing mattered at the moment but to see me went up that stage and received that diploma.
So for you teens, you might not be realizing what I already realized when I was younger than you are right now... but someday, when you already have your child, you will know all these things; all what your parents are feeling and experiencing. Yes, you might be to young to worry lots of stuff, but there are always limitations and there is also what we call empathy... to the ones who love you. If you have a problem, your parents are there to help you. Ultimately, they will be the people you're going to call when no one seems to care for you; they will never stop loving you no matter what you have become.

No comments: